Chelsea v Barça will decide a brand new European champion this Sunday in Gothenburg (9.00pm CEST) Here’s a collection of essential facts about the UEFA Women’s Champions League Final:
- Whoever wins will become the first ever club to win both the men’s and women’s Champions League.
- This is Barça’s second European final after first appearing in Budapest in 2019. It’s the very first time for Chelsea.
- The only previous meeting between the teams was a friendly at the Miniestadi in 2018/19 that ended 1-1 (see photo above).
- Asisat Oshoala is the only player to have scored for Barça in a Champions League Final, in the 4-1 defeat to Olympique Lyon two years ago.
- Jenni Hermoso and Chelsea’s Fran Kirby are the joint top scorers in the competition was six goals each.
- Ana Crnogorcevic es is the only member of the Barça squad who has played in and won a final before, with FFC Frankfurt in 2015.
- However, Kheira Hamraoui, a two-time winner with Lyon, is going into her fifth final. But for various reasons she has never actually played in one. In Budapest, for example, she was under suspension.
- Caroline Graham Hansen lost both of her Champions League finals with Wolfsburg, one in injury time and one on penalties.
- Lieke Martens is returning to the city she lived in from 2014 to 2015 as a player for Göteborg FC.
- Ten of the team that started the Budapest final are still at Barça: Paños, Marta, Andrea Pereira, María León, Leila, Losada, Aitana, Alexia, Mariona and Martens.
- Both teams were confirmed champions of their domestic leagues last weekend.