Exceptional stats from an exceptional game. The incredible late comeback in Granada, and a fabulous display in a thrilling extra 30 minutes saw Barça though to the semi-finals of the Copa del Rey. Here are five of our favourite sets of numbers to come out of the memorable clash:
1) Jordi Alba’s first brace. The full-back has scored 20 goals and given 68 assists in his 362 games for Barça, but last night was the first time he’s scored two in a game. It wasn’t the first brace of his pro career though, as he scored twice for Spain against Nigeria in the Confederations Cup in Brazil in June 2013.
2) 36 shots. Barça had no fewer than 36 shots on Aarón’s goal in a game in which they never stopped attacking. 20 of those were on target and five went in the net. Not since 2005/06 have Barça shot that many times, in the 2-0 defeat of Malaga at Camp Nou.
3) 3 goals in extra time. This was the first time in 121 years of club history that Barça scored three times in extra time. It was also the fourth time in seven games that a Barça game has gone into added time.
4) Griezmann sets personal best. It was the first time that the Frenchman has not only scored twice but also given two assists in the same game. Since 2021 began, he has scored six goals and given six assists. Some form!
5) 5 goals away, and none from Messi! This was just the third time in 14 years that Barça scored five goals away from home without Messi scoring (despite the Argentinian being on the field of play). The same thing happened in the 5-1 win at the RCD Stadium against Espanyol in 2011 and the 5-3 win at Murcia in 2008. But it was not that Messi had a quiet game – he assisted the first goal and played a key role in the second and fourth.