- Copy link
Ferran Torres is an FC Barcelona player. We take a quick look at Barça's latest signing who comes to the Club from Manchester City.
1) Ferran Torres was born on the most unusual date in the calendar: 29 February (the year 2000). Only one other player was born on that day in the Spanish First Division, Athletic Club defender Mikel Balenziaga who is 12 years older.
2) With the arrival of Ferran Torres, the number of young players at Barça continues to grow. However, the only other player in the squad born in the year 2000 is Sergiño Dest.
3) Born in Foios, a town just 10 kilometres north of Valencia, Ferran Torres becomes just the 10th player signed by Barça from the province: David Gámiz (1931-32), Nicolás Santacatalina (1939-41), Ignasi Llàcer (1940-43), Vicent Sierra (1942-45), Josep Valero (1943-47), Basilio Nieto (1944-45), Vicente Morera (1945-46), Francisco Sampedro (1955-58), Vicent Amigó (1979-80) and Paco Alcácer (2016-18) are the others.
4) His league debut came on 16 December 2017 when he became the first player born in the year 2000 to play in La Liga.
5) His footballing childhood idol at Valencia was a player who would go on to join Barça: David Villa. His first football shirt was that of midfielder Gaizka Mendieta who also played for both Valencia and Barça.
6) Despite bring just 21 years of age, Ferran Torres has already played under two Barça legends: Josep Guardiola at Manchester City and Luis Enrique with the Spanish national side. Now it is the turn of another: Xavi Hernández.
7) Torres has played two current Barça players. He shared a dressing room with goalkeeper Neto between 2017 and 2019 at Valencia and with Eric Garcia at Manchester City between 2020 and 2021.
8) Ferran Torres is just the third player to be signed by FC Barcelona from Manchester City: the other two were recent arrivals Eric Garcia and Sergio Agüero.
9) However, the list of players who have played for both clubs is more extensive: Ronnie Ekelund, Geovanni Deiberson, Sylvinho, Touré Yaya, Nolito, Claudio Bravo and Denis Suárez have all represented both Barça and The Citizens.
10) As is plain to see from his Instagram account, Ferran Torres is a dog lover. He has three in fact, Minnie, Lluna and the recent added Milo. The new Barça man is heavily involved in charity projects related to canines.
- Copy link