- Copy link
“They didn’t play the way we expected” said Luis Enrique of a Borussia Mönchengladbach side that led at half-time in Wednesday’s Champions League encounter, but was pleased to conlude that “we were fair winners in the end."
Goals from Arda Turan and Gerard Piqué eventually secured three valuable points in Germany, and here’s a round-up of the standout comments made by the Barça manager when it was all over:
- “We thought they would put deep pressure on us, but they didn’t. They just stuck eleven men behind the ball in the first half. We still had three or four great chances, but they got their transitions spot on to score against us.”
- “They started with a five-man defence and two defensive wingers - they certainly kept it tight at the back. But they weren’t used to doing that, while we are more than used to playing against ultra-defensive teams. Most teams change their way of playing when they face us.”
- “We switched our positions in the second half and the subs did a great job. We were fair winners. Strategy was the key to a win that has done us a lot of good.”
- “Rafinha and Arda were clear examples of why we need all of the players, regardless of whether they start the game or come on in the second half.”
- “We deserved the win because of the hard work that the players put in against a team that has not lost at home for a very long time.”
- "Piqué played well, but so did all the team. He always plays well, he’s a vital player, a key element of the team. He is great at getting the ball forward and defends brilliantly."
- “You always learn from every game, whatever the final result. And there are always things to improve.”
- “All of my players are very, very confident. I’m happy with all of their performances.”
- "The aim is to finish top of the group, not to speculate. We want to win every game, but we also know how hard this group is going to be.”
- Copy link