- Copy link
- Leo Messi is the leading goalscorer in the current edition of the Champions League with seven, including yesterday’s away to Manchester City. And he’s also tied for top spot, with the same tally of seven goals, in La Liga. He shares pole position with team-mate Luis Suárez, both with one goal more than Griezmann (Atlético Madrid) and Iago Aspas (Celta).
- Last season, Messi scored six goals in the Champions League. He’s already surpassed that number this time round after just four games.
- Amazingly, he’s scored his six European goals off just eight attempts. That’s some shot conversion rate he’s got – 88%!
- And that’s also despite sitting out the game with Borussia Mönchengladbach through injury. It all adds up to a goal every 39 minutes.
- Messi has topped Raúl González’s record for goals in the group stage. The former Real Madrid star scored 53, but the Argentinian has now gone one better with 54.
- Leo Messi really has the knack against English clubs. He’s scored 17 goals in 16 games against Premiership teams, as well setting up another six for colleagues.
- In all competitions at club and international level, Messi has made it to 50 goals in 2016. That’s puts him top of the list, followed by Luis Suárez with 46.
- Barça have scored 35 of their 49 competitive goals this season with Messi on the pitch. No fewer than 21 of those have seen his direct involvement, in the form of 15 goals and six assists.
- Messi is the top Barça goalscorer at this stage of the season with 15 in his account. He’s followed by Suárez (10), Neymar Jr (6), Rafinha (5) and Arda Turan (5).
- The goal against Manchester City was number 499 for Leo Messi in all games, both official and friendlies. And we can be sure that there are going to plenty more to come!
- Copy link