- Copy link
FC Barcelona made the perfect start to the new La Liga season in dispatching Real Betis 2-0 at the Camp Nou. This maintains their superb nine-year record stretching back to the 2009/10 season of winning their opening La Liga game each season. The last time they failed to do so came all the way back in 2008/9 when they lost 1-0 to Numancia.
Here are some of the key facts from Ernesto Valverde's first game in charge in La Liga:
- Gerard Deulofeu was involved in both goals, laying on his first assist in an official game for Barça when he set up Sergi Roberto.
- FC Barcelona have now gone 15 matches without losing to Betis at Camp Nou (13 wins, 2 draws). They have won the last seven meetings on this ground between the sides.
- Sergi Roberto scored his first ever La Liga goal for the club. He had previously scored three in the Champions League and three in the Copa del Rey. His last goal was the clincher in unforgettable 6-1 win over PSG.
- Nélson Semedo made his La Liga debut as a starter and put in a fine display. He made 49 successful passes out of 52 attempts, and won the ball back five times. He also completed two successful dribbles.
- FC Barcelona have never lost at the Camp Nou on the opening day of the season (27 wins, 2 draws).
- Leo Messi was all action during the game and was denied by the woodwork on three separate occasions. The last time this happened a Barça player with with Ludovic Giuly in 2006.
- Ivan Rakitić played the most successful passes; a total of 91. Along with Sergio Busquets, he recovered the most balls; nine each.
- FC Barcelona have 57 opening day La Liga wins; the most of any club.
- Copy link