- Copy link
Barça return to Son Moix stadium in Mallorca this Saturday for week 28's fixture in La Liga. The ground in the Balearic Islands has been the venue for some iconic moments in the blaugranes' long and successful history - Leo Messi's brace in 2012 in a 4-2 win took him past Péle's total of 76 on his way to beating Gerd Müller's record of most goals in a calendar year, the Argentinian reaching an unprecedented total of 91 that year.
Leo Messi was also the focal point of another key moment in FC Barcelona history at Son Moix: on 29 January 2006 the Argentinian scored his first official goal for Barça away from home. The Argentine came on with just 17 minutes of the game remaining and scored twice in a 3-0 win over a Mallorca side then coached by his countryman Héctor Cúper.
Son Moix has been Mallorca's home since it opened in 1999 as previously they played their games at the Luís Sitjar stadium where in 1982 none other than Diego Maradona made his debut for FC Barcelona.
- Plenty of footballers have played for both Mallorca and FC Barcelona: Maxi López, Samuel Eto’o, Miquel Àngel Nadal, Antoni Ramallets, Ernesto Valverde, Miquel Soler, Rafael Zuviría, Fernando Navarro, Giovani dos Santos and Andreu Fontàs have all represented the two sides who will meet on Saturday at 6.15pm CET in Palma.
- Dutch striker Patrick Kluivert was the first Barça player to score in the Son Moix stadium in a 3-2 defeat on 28 November 1999.
- In March 2009 Barça secured their place in that season's Copa del Rey final - the first trophy in a historic treble - in a game that will be remembered for José Manuel Pinto's penalty save from Pep Martí.
- Later the same year on 17 May Barça were able to visit Son Moix as La Liga and Copa del Rey champions with Pep Guardiola's team going on to add the Champions League title to the list just 10 days later in Rome against Manchester United.
- In total Barça have played 14 league matches in Son Moix, winning 10, drawing once and losing three times. The blaugranes have failed to win just once in their last 10 visits to Mallorca in La Liga.
- Copy link