- Copy link
There are more than three points at stake. After the victory against Leganés (1-2), FC Barcelona host Borussia Dortmund on match day five of the 2019/20 Champions League, in a game that is expected to be momentous. If Barça win, they will qualify to the Round of 16 as winner of Group F.
A solitary precedent
FC Barcelona and Borussia Dortmund have met only once in Europe. It was in the 1997 Super Cup, the last edition in which the title was resolved in a two-legged final. Barcelona, trained by Van Gaal, won 2-0 against Dortmund and then, two months later, confirmed the title with a 1-1 draw in Germany.
Thus, the Champions League 2019/20 is the first time the competition has seen Barça-Dortmund fixtures. The Germans are no strangers to Camp Nou, however, as in 1957 they participated in the inauguration of the stadium.
Dortmund's irregular away form
Lucien Favre's side beat Slavia in Prague, but lost to Inter in Italy. In the Bundesliga, BVB have only won once on the road, drawing three and losing two.
- Ranking: sixth in the Bundesliga and second in the Champions League.
- Top scorers: Marco Reus, with six goals in the Bundesliga, and Achraf, with four goals in the Champions League and two in the Bundesliga.
- The only Borussia Dortmund player with a Barça past is Paco Alcácer, however, he is injured and hasn't traveled to Barcelona. Ousmane Dembélé is looking forward to a special match because he will play against Dortmund for the first time since his transfer to Barça in the summer of 2017.
Potential record breakers
- If FC Barcelona win against Dortmund, they will qualify as the top team in the group. That will be something they've done more than any other Champions League team. It would also be their 19th consecutive match without losing in the group stage.
- If Leo Messi scores, Dortmund will become his 34th different victim in the Champions League.
- Should Ansu Fati also find the net, he will become the youngest Barça scorer in the history of the competition.
Ernesto Valverde has called up 18 players to face Dortmund.
They are: Ter Stegen, I. Rakitic, Sergio, Todibo, Arthur, Suárez, Messi, O. Dembélé, Neto, Lenglet, M. Wague, Griezmann, S. Roberto, F . From Jong, Vidal, Umtiti, Junior and Ansu Fati.
Carles Aleñá and C. Pérez have been left out by Valverde, Gerard Piqué is suspended, whilst N. Semedo and Jordi Alba remain on the injury list.
- Copy link