- Copy link
Another international week is upon us and no fewer than eleven FC Barcelona players are involved in different games for their countries. This is the place for all the latest news from the various camps.
Wednesday 13 October
Sergiño Dest scored in the 25th minute of the U.S.A. v Costa Rica World Cup qualifying game. His left-footed shot from the edge of the area cancelled out a disastrous opener for Costa Rica, who scored in the 1st minute. The youngest ever U.S.A team to take the field - with an average age of 22 years, 199 days - went on to win 2-1 and consolidate second place in the table.
Tuesday 12 October
-Nico González and the Spain U21 team have beaten Northern Ireland 3-0. The Barça midfielder was on for 57 minutes, with goals both coming from former La Masia men in Sergio Gómez (2) and Abel Ruiz.
-Yusuf Demir eventually played no part in Austria's game with Denmark, a 1-0 defeat that means they now have no chance of qualifying from the group, although there is still a chance they could reach the playoffs by virtue of their Nations League ranking. But the result was good news for the injured Martin Braithwaite as Denmark are now confirmed as the second team, following Ter Stegen's Germany, to have mathematically clinched at next year's finals in Qatar.
Monday 11 October
- A good night for the Netherlands saw Memphis collect another hat trick in the 6-0 win over Gibraltar to move to the top of the goalscoring charts in World Cup qualification in Europe and at the same time set a new record for goals for the national side in a calendar year. Fellow blaugrana Frenkie de Jong also played 60 minutes in the win that leave Louis Van Gaal's team to of their group on 19 points, two ahead of second placed Norway.
- Barça have a player through to the World Cup in Qatar next year. Marc ter Stegen did not figure in the 4-0 win for Germany over North Macedonia but it does mean that the Germans have now booked their place in the tournament in the Middle East.
Sunday 10 October
- Ronald Araujo played the first 73 minutes of Uruguay's World Cup qualifier in Argentina, playing not just at centre back but also right back as part of a switched system. However, his side was on the wrong end of a 3-0 scoreline, with Leo Messi among the goalscorers for the Copa America champions. Despite defeat, Uruguay stay fourth and on good course for a direct berth into the finals, although following their draw with Brazil, Colombia have closed the gap to a single point.
- Sergiño Dest did not feature in a disappointing 1-0 defeat for the US in Panama. Despite their first defeat in the Concacaf qualifying competition, the US hold onto second place, but the Panamanians have joined them on 8 points and Costa Rica and Canada are both chasing close behind.
- Spain are runners up in the UEFA Nations League after a 2-1 defeat in the final against France. Sergio Busquets and Eric Garcia played all 90 minutes and Gavi 75 minutes in a game in which Luis Enrique's team took the lead in the second half through Oyarzabal only to be denied by replies from Benzema and Mbappé. Blaugrana captain Sergio Busquets was named MVP of the Final Four stage of the tournament.
- Starting XI confirmed! Luis Enrique includes three blaugranes: Eric Garcia, Sergio Busquets and Gavi.
Saturday 9 October
- Yusuf Demir only played the final six minutes, including injury time, of Austria's game in Tórshavn. The 2-0 victory earned his team three vital points.
Friday 8 October
- The Netherlands took an important win in World Cup qualification with a 1-0 victory over Latvia in Riga. Frenkie de Jong and Memphis played all 90 minutes and the latter provided the assist for Davy Klaassen to score the only goal of the game. Luuk de Jong was an unused substitute and the win allows the Dutch to remain top of Group G on 16 points.
- Marc ter Stegen played all 90 minutes in Germany's 2-1 win over Rumania in their 2022 World Cup qualifier. The visitors went ahead through Hagi but second half goals from Gnabry and Müller handed the home side all three points and Germany remain top of Group J on 18 points.
- Ronald Araujo played for the final half an hour as Uruguay drew 0-0 with Colombia in their World Cup 2022 qualifying match, leaving Uruguay currently in fourth place and an automatic qualification spot.
- Sergiño Dest featured for the U.S.A. as they beat Jamaica 2-0 to remain leaders of the World Cup 2022 qualifying table.
Thursday 7 October
- France mounted a stirring second-half comeback from 2-0 down to beat Belgium 3-2 and book their place in the UEFA Nations League final against Sergio Busquets, Gavi, Sergi Roberto, Eric Garcia and the rest of the Spanish national team at 8.45pm CEST on Sunday.
Wednesday 6 October
- Spain are through to the UEFA Nations League Final after beating Italy on home soil at the San Siro! Sergio Busquets, Gavi, Sergi Roberto and Eric Garcia will be in Sunday’s final against France or Belgium after Ferran Torres score both goals for the side managed by former Barça boss Luis Enrique Martínez.
Busquets started the game and played all 90 minutes, while the youngest debutant ever for Spain, Gavi, thoroughly impressed in his 83 minutes on the field. He was replaced by Barça colleague Sergi Roberto, while Eric Garcia did not get on.
- Gavi has been named in the starting line-up for Spain's game with Italy! It makes him the youngest EVER debutant for the national side. aged just 17 years and 62 days. That's considerably younger than even Angel Zubieta of Athletic Club was back in the 1930s (17 years 284 days) and also our own Ansu Fati, who is third on the list (17 years 308 days). Sergio Busquets also starts the game in the San Siro.
- The San Siro in Milan is the venue for the first game with a Barça presence. The first semi-final in the UEFA Nations League is a humdinger between Euro 2020 champions Italy and Luis Enrique's Spain. Sergio Busquets, Sergi Roberto, Eric Garcia and Gavi are in the Spanish squad, who'll be battling for a place in the final against either Belgium or France. Kick off is at 8.45pm CEST.
- Copy link