This Saturday will feature the 164th showdown between FC Barcelona and Athletic Club. Here’s an overview of the match’s juiciest facts and figures:
• Of all the matches between the two sides, FC Barcelona claimed victory on 77 occasions, while Athletic Club won 58 times. There have been 28 draws.
• Of the 82 games at the Camp Nou, 55 were won by the Blaugrana. Los Leones have won 17 times at the Camp Nou, and there have been 10 draws.
• Athletic Club haven’t secured a point at the Camp Nou for the past eight years. The last time the Basques got a good result was in the 2003/04 season (1-1).
• Since then, FC Barcelona have always scored at least two goals when Athletic Club visit the Camp Nou.
• The biggest win between the two sides happened a little over a decade ago. On February 3 of 2001, Barça defeated Athletic Club by 7-0, thanks to goals from Luis Enrique (3), Cocu (2), Abelardo and Overmars
• Nine months later, Athletic Club won at the Camp Nou. The scoreline was 1-2, thanks to the match-winning strike from Ezquerro. The player joined the Blaugrana later on in his career.
• This will be Tito Vilanova’s first match against Athletic Club as Barça’s head manager. As Guardiola’s assistant, he’s defeated Athletic Club six times and conceded two draw.
• The last time the two sides faced off, however, was in the Copa del Rey final last season. Barça won the match by 0-3, thanks to goals from Pedro (2) and Messi.
• This will be Athletic Club’s seventh La Liga match away from San Mamés Stadium this season. Up until now, they’ve lost four times (Atlético Madrid, Real Sociedad, Valencia and Madrid), tied once (Espanyol) and won once (Granada).
• Marcelo Bielsa’s men currently lie in the 14th spot of the table with 15 points, only four above the relegation zone.
• Leo Messi will play his 350th game in a Blaugrana strip tomorrow, and he’ll have the chance to threaten Gerd Müller’s all-time high goalscoring record. Messi is only three goals adrift of the German.