Barça has widened the gap over Atletico Madrid to a season-high six points thanks to the 5-1 win against Athletic Club.
-Barça has made the best ever start to a league campaign with 13 victories and just one draw. Along the way the team has scored 48 goals and conceded just 16.
- It’s the second time Barça has scored five goals this season in the Camp Nou following on from an identical 5-1 win against Real Sociedad in the opening match of the season.
- Adriano celebrated his 50th Barça league goal, his fifth this season, and is the team’s fourth highest scorer behind Messi (28), Villa (8) and Cesc (7).
- Piqué scored for the first time since his goal away to Mallorca on 24th March 2012.
- Piqué is the fifth defender to score for Barça this season: Adriano (5), Jordi Alba (3), Piqué (1), Alves (1) and Puyol (1).
- A total of 14 different players have hit the back of the net since the start of the current campaign.
- Cesc’s first Camp Nou goal of the season, and his first since scoring against Valencia on 8th February.
- Iniesta made his 500th professional appearance. 423 with FC Barcelona and 77 with the Spanish national side. 54 goals and 22 trophies.
- It’s the first time Barça has beaten Athletic Club Bilbao by a margin of 5-1 in the league. The Basques haven’t won here now for 11 years.
- On the day Messi equalled César’s long-standing record as highest Barça league goal scorer, he made his 350th competitive appearance for the Club and advanced to just one goal of Müller’s record for goals scored in one calendar year.
- Barça had 19 shots (10 on target including one to the woodwork) while Athletic Club had 6 (3 on target).
- Barca has extended the lead over second-placed Atletico Madrid to six points. Barça total 40 points while Atlètic Madrid, who lost the Madrid derby 2-0 to Real, has 34. Despite the win, Real Madrid remains eleven points behind Barça.