José Manuel Pinto featured in the opening line-up against Deportivo at the age of 37 years 121 days and so beat the league record previously held by Alexanko (37 years 32 days). If the Valdés ban is upheld, he will extend his lead as the oldest player to appear for Barça in the league.
The defeat of Deportivo also saw Barça keep a clean sheet after a run of 13 consecutive games conceding at least one goal. Let’s take a look at some of the stats from Saturday’s game:
• FC Barcelona broke a negative run of thirteen matches conceding at least one goal (since the 5-0 win against Cordoba in the Cup). In the league, the team had not kept a clean sheet for the last eight games, (since the 4-0 defeat of Espanyol).
• Pinto had almost nothing to do. Deportivo were unable to produce a single effort on goal while Barça had seven.
• Alexis scored his four goal of 2013, his previous goals coming against Cordoba (2) and Getafe.
• The Chilean international hadn’t completed a league game since FCB v Granada in the 5th round though he did play the full 90 minutes against Cordoba in the Cup (5-0).
• With Messi and Piqué starting on the bench, Alves – with six - moves to the top in terms of consecutive starting line-up appearances in recent matches. Meanwhile, Thiago Alcántara has now started the last five matches in the league.
• Alves, Thiago and Song were the most active players for Barça against Deportivo, participating in 152, 118 and 103 moves, respectively.
• Cristian Tello hadn’t made the starting line-up since the Cup match against Malaga (2-2). In the league, his last appearance was away to Mallorca (2-4).
• Cesc Fàbregas made his 50th league appearance against Deportivo. In these 50 games he’s scored fifteen goals and celebrated 39 victories.
• Alex Song has made eleven league appearances for Barça. He’s won them all.