Stats and facts from the comeback against AC Milan
Barça are the first team in Champions League history to qualify for the next round of the competition after losing the away leg by 2-0
11:00PM Tuesday 12 Mar
The historic comeback against Milan left us with some particularly interesting stats and facts, here’s an overview of the juiciest ones:
• Barça are the first team in the history of the Champions League to qualify for the next round of play after losing 2-0 in the away leg.
• The Blaugrana are the first team in Europe to defeat AC Milan twice by four or more goals. The first time was on November 25 of 1925 (5-1).
• The match against Milan saw Víctor Valdés play his 100th match in the Champions League. He’s conceded 77 goals in the European competition.
• Xavi is the player with the third most games in the history of the tournament (127), level with Casillas. Only Raúl (142) and Giggs (134) have featured in more games.
• Xavi and Puyol, who played the final minutes of the match, are the duo who have featured together the most in the history of the competition (95 times).
• Xavi notched up the most kilometers against AC Milan (11,756 meters). He is followed by Busquets (11,542), Alves (11,293), Alba (11,189) and Iniesta (11,161).
• In terms of shooting on goal, Barça outclassed Milan (7 to 2). FCB also completed more passes (662 to 286) and committed fewer fouls (6 to 19).
• Messi is the second player with the most goals against Milan in the Champions League. Counting his two strikes on Tuesday, his total stands at five goals, only Jardel has scored more goals on the Rossoneri (6).
• The 3-0 was Villa’s first goal in the Champions League this season. His most recent goal before last night’s was in November of 2011, against Viktoria Pilsen.
• It was the sixth time that Messi, Pedro and Villa featured in the starting line-up together this season. They had started together against Celta (3-1), Zaragoza (3-1), Córdoba (0-2), Osasuna (5-1) and Madrid (2-1).
• Pedro Rodríguez, who was booked against Milan, will miss the away leg of the quarter-finals due to suspension.