- Copy link
Since 1915, every Athletic Bilbao home match against Barça has been at the old San Mamés. But on Saturday, there will be a brand new venue as the long history of games between these clubs continues:
- Barça played 100 official matches at the old San Mamés, alongside which the new venue is located.
- Barça’s first game at San Mamés was a friendly on January 31, 1915. It ended 1-1, with the legendary Rafael Moreno ‘Pichichi’ scoring for the home side and Mallorquí for the visitors.
- Athletic, Barça and Real Madrid are the only three clubs to have played in every one of the 83 Spanish league Championships contested to date.
- The famous ‘lame man’s goal’ was invented at an Athletic v Barça match on May 29, 1955 when Basque defender Canito was injured in the 25th minute of a cup tie at San Mamés. Playing out on the left wing, in the 50th minute he defied his physical limitations to go on a dribbling run and stick the ball past goalkeeper Ramallets.
- Current Bilbao manager Ernesto Valverde played for Barça between 1988 and 1990. He played 55 games and scored 22 goals.
- Athletic have not beaten Barça since the 2005/06 season.
- Right back Andoni Iraola has played the most minutes of the season so far (1.260). Tata Martino’s most used player has been Dani Alves (945 minutes).
- Copy link