- Copy link
Barça get their Copa del Rey off to a start tonight in Cartagena. The game, in an exact replica of the Miniestadi, has a number of curiosities attached to it:
- This is the second time the clubs have met in this round of the Copa del Rey. The last meeting was in 1988/89, when Barça were being managed by Cruyff and the Catalans won 3-0 on the road and 4-0 at the Camp Nou.
- In 1986, Cartagena FC started projecting a new stadium to replace the old Almarjal. They approached FC Barcelona to ask for the plans used for the Miniestadi, as they felt it was exactly what they needed, and Barça had no qualms about letting the Murcian club construct an exact replica.
- From 2010 to 2012, FC Cartagena and Barça B have met four times. So, Oier, Montoya, Bartra, Sergi Roberto, Cuenca, Dos Santos and Tello all have previous experience against the side.
- Barça have won on the last eight occasions that they have met Division 2B teams in the Copa del Rey.
- Cartagena are on fine home form this season. They have won all six games at their ground.
- The home side reached this stage of the competition by beating Guadalajara (2-1), Huesca (0-1) and Tudelano (1-4).
- Cartagena are managed by Luis García Tevenet, a face many people at Barça will remember. He was one of the great young hopes at Sevilla, where he played for the first team from 1993 to 1997.
- David Villa (5) and Leo Messi (4) led the Barça scoring in the cup last season, when Barça got as far as the semi-finals.
- Copy link