With Messi and Pedro as the heroes of the night, the Camp Nou Catalan derby threw up some interesting facts and figures, which we detail below:
• Tito Vilanova was back in charge of the team and he repeated the same team he’d sent out against Levant – the 11th time he’d repeated a line up this season – with the same 4-0 result
• Ther were 14 players who had come up through the Barça youth academy on the pitch at thestart of the game – 10 for Barça and Baena, Víctor Sánchez, Verdú and Sergio García for Espanyol
• Four Barça players made more than 100 passes (Busquets, Alba, Iniesta and Xavi), whilst no Espanyol player managed more than 40.
• Alves made 10 crosses - against 6 by the whole Espanyol team.
• Messi has now scored in each of the last eight league games - Celta were the last team he failed to score against.
• Pedro doubled his goal tally for the season with his brace against Espanyol – the first time he’s scored since the return leg of the Spanish Super Cup against Madrid (3-2).
• The last time Pedro bagged two goals in a game was against Bilbao in the Spanish Cup Final in May.
• It was Pedro’s 9th brace for the team and his second in a Catalan derby – having scored twice in the 1-5 win at El Prat in the 201/11 season.
• This was the fifth match of the season that Valdes has kept a clean sheet , the others were against Valencia (1-0), Granada (2-0), Rayo (0-5) and Llevant (0-4)
• Thiago, who came on for the last half hour, made his 50th league appearance for the Club.
• The win equals the best ever first half to a season, with next week’s game against Malaga still to come.