- Copy link
International matches over the last week or so have involved as many as 13 Barça first team players. Let’s have a look back at how they got on:
Cillessen: The Barça keeper played both matches in the UEFA Nations League final four, losing out in the final to Portugal.
N.Semedo: The full back played both games of the UEFA Nations League with Portugal claiming the title after beating a Holland side containing Cillessen and De Jong in the final.
Lenglet: The French centre back played all 90 minutes of France’s win over Andorra.
Jordi Alba: The full back featured in all 90 minutes of Spain’s 3-0 victory over Sweden.
Sergi Roberto: The Barça man played the whole of Spain’s 4-1 away win at the Faroe Islands.
Umtiti playing for France against Bolivia
Umtiti: Featured in France’s game against Turkey in Euro 2020 qualifying and in the friendly against Bolivia.
Vermaelen: The Belgian played a part in both his team’s wins over Kazakhstan and Scotland.
Busquets: The midfielder played in Spain’s 3-0 win over Sweden.
Coutinho: The Barça number 7 played in Brazil’s 2-0 win over Qatar and was on the scoresheet in their 7-0 win over Honduras.
Arthur: The midfielder played alongside Coutinho in the wins over Qatar and Honduras.
Vidal: The Chilean played all 90 minutes in the 2-1 win over Haiti.
Messi: The Argentine captain scored twice in the 5-1 victory over Nicaragua.
Luis Suárez: The striker was on the mark in Uruguay’s win over Panama.
Tuesday 11 June
✅ France made up for the disappointment of losing to Turkey with a 0-4 thrashing of Andorra. Clément Lenglet played the entire 90 minutes, whilst club colleague, Samuel Umtiti, was an unused substitute. The goals came from Mbappé, Ben Yedder, Thauvin and Zouma.
✅ Belgium were far too strong for Scotland, winning 3-0 thanks to two goals from Romelu Lukaku and one from Kevin De Bruyne in injury time. Barça's Thomas Vermaelen replaced Vincent Kompany for the second game running, this time coming on in the 90th minute.
- Tunisia secured one of the surprise results of the night by beating Croatia 2-1, though Barça's Ivan Rakitic had already long since been ruled out of that match.
✅ Thanks to a 92nd minute goal by Jill Roord, Holland saw off the challenge of New Zealand. Both Stefanie van der Gragt and Lieke Martens played the full 90 minutes.
- Croatia take on Tunisia in a friendly in Varaždin tonight, KO 8.45 pm CEST, however, Barça's Ivan Rakitic has already been ruled out of the match.
- Thomas Vermaelen may feature for Belgium as they host Scotland in Brussels in a Euro 2020 qualifier, KO 8.45 pm CEST.
- France travel to Andorra for their Euro 2020 qualifier, KO 8.45 pm CEST, a match in which both Samuel Umtiti and Clément Lenglet are available for selection.
- In the Women's World Cup, Stefanie van der Gragt, Lieke Martens should play for Holland against New Zealand, a Group E match which kicks off at 3.00pm CEST in Le Havre.
Monday 10 June
✅ This Monday, Sergio Busquets and Jordi Alba were the only Barça players in action, both with the Spanish team, who beat Sweden at the Santiago Bernabéu (3-0). This is the fourth victory in the four qualifying matches for the 2020 European Championship played so far. Spain lead, with 12 points, five points more than Sweden and Romania (7 points), second and third respectively. Both Sergio Busquets and Jordi Alba started and played the 90 minutes, but Sergi Roberto didn't play in a match in which Ramos, Morata and Oyarzabal scored.
Sunday 9 June
- Portugal 1-0 Holland. In an exciting UEFA Nations League final, Nelson Semedo finished on the winning team as Gonçalo Guedes' 60th minute strike proved to be the winner. It was too hot for Barça's Jasper Cillessen to handle, and the keeper, along with Frenkie De Jong, end the tournament as runners-up.
"This is the second final I've lost in two weeks and it hurts" said Cillessen after the game,
- Brazil 7-0 Honduras. The visitors really suffered in this friendly after the early sending off of Romell Quioto, for a foul on Barça's Arthur Melo which caused the midfielder to leave the field on a stretcher. Philippe Coutinho managed to get on the score sheet with a penalty, and he was joined Thiago Silva, David Neres, Roberto Firmino, Richarlison and Gabriel Jesus (x2).
- England 2-1 Scotland. Toni Duggan didn't play in the opening win for England after succumbing to injury. Parris and White scored the goals to take the 'Lionesses' to the top of their group.
- Brazil Women 3-0 Jamaica. Barça's Andressa Alves started the match, played the full 90 minutes and was key in the win for the Canarinha, providing two assists. Cristiane scored a hat-trick, with Andressa delivering the final passes for her first two goals.
⚽ Nations League Final in Porto
- Whatever happens today, somebody from Barça will be celebrating victory in the inaugural UEFA Nations League Final Four. Portugal (Nelson Semedo) host Holland (Jasper Cillessen and Frenkie de Jong) in a 7.45pm kick-off local time (8.45pm CEST).
- The Women's World Cup begins for two more of our players today. Andressa Alves and Brazil take on Jamaica (Grenoble, Group C, KO 3.30 pm CEST) and Toni Duggan and England start with a fascinating tie against neighbours Scotland (Nice, Group D, KO 6.00 pm CEST).
- The Brazil men's team are also playing today in the final pre-Copa America friendly with a Barça interest (Arthur and Coutinho). They entertain Honduras in Porto Alegre (KO 4.00 pm (local) 9.00 pm CEST).
Saturday 8 June
- Turkey 2-0 France. Samuel Umtiti played the full 90 minutes in France's loss to Turkey, whilst his defensive colleague, Clément Lenglet was left on the bench. The defeat means that the French have lost the top spot in their qualifying group for Euro 2020.
- Belgium 3-0 Kazakhstan. Thomas Vermaelen's Belgium side easily overcame Kazakhstan, and continue leading their group. The blaugrana came on for Vincent Kompany in the 78th minute.
- The Spanish Women's team beat South Africa 3-1 at the Women's World Cup being played in France. Each line of the team was represented by at least one FC Barcelona player. Sandra Paños in goal, Mapi León and Torrejón in defence, Losada and Alexia in midfield, and Mariona up front. In the second half, with another Barça player, Aitana, stepped onto the Le Havre pitch. Two penalties from Jennifer Hermoso and another goal from Lucía García ensured the win.
- New signing Caroline Graham Hansen and Asisat Oshoala both played the full 90 for their respective sides as Norway and Nigeria got their Women's World Cup campaigns off the mark. The Scandinavians came out tops, winning 3-0.
- Konrad de la Fuente, a starter with the United States, will not be in the semifinals of the U20 World Cup, after his team's 1-2 defeat against Ecuador. The Barça powerhouse played the opening 45 minutes.
Rakitic ruled out of Croatia games
✅ Croatia 2 - Wales 1. Ivan Rakitic's side are now first in their group with six points.
❌ However, the Barça midfielder was ruled out of both today's crunch Euro 2020 qualifier and the upcoming friendly with Tunisia.
Coach Zlatko Dalić explained the situation to the media: “We made the decision together that Rakitic will not be part of these games. He has had a problem with his hamstring, and it flared up again in the final of the Copa del Rey. He is not fit for the Wales match and will not take part in the Tunisia match either.”
Saturday packed with action
Barça players in action all around Europe today! France and Belgium are looking to make it three out of three in Euro 2020 qualifying, and it's a big day for Konrad de la Fuente and the United States U20 team. Could they make it into the World Cup semis?
And today we have our first Women’s World Cup games featuring Barça players – and one of them is a head to head, offering a chance for Oshoala of Nigeria, formerly on loan and now officially signed to our team, to catch up with Caroline Graham Hansen, with whom she’ll be sharing a dressing room from next season.
EURO 2020 QUALIFIERS
Thomas Vermaelen: Belgium v Kazakhstan (Brussels, KO 8.45 pm CEST)
Samuel Umtiti, Clement Lenglet: Turkey v France (Konya, KO 9.45 pm (local) 8.45 pm CEST)
U20 WORLD CUP
Konrad de la Fuente (Barça U19): United States v Ecuador (Gdyna, Quarter Final, 5.30pm CEST)
WOMEN'S WORLD CUP
Various players: Spain v South Africa (Le Havre, Group B, KO 6.00 pm CEST)
Caroline Graham Hansen / Asisat Oshoala: Norway v Nigeria (Reims, Group A, KO 9.00 pm CEST)
✅ Messi and Suárez both score in friendlies
🇦🇷 Leo Messi came, saw and conquered against Nicaragua, scoring two goals in as many minutes in Argentina’s farewell game in front of their home fans before heading off to the Copa America. The first was a splendid jig through the visiting defence and a deft finish, and the second, just moments later, was on the rebound after Sergio Aguero’s initial shot. Having done more than enough to set the game on the right track, he sat out the second half Lautaro Martinez twice and Roberto Pereyra once topped off the rout, with Nicaragua getting some consolation from a late penalty in a game that ended 5-1.
🇺🇾 Uruguay were also getting seen off by their fans in style, beating Panama 3-0, with Luis Suárez showing that he is well recovered from his knee surgery and scoring the second of those goals with a wonderful free kick in the 69th minute, just five minutes after coming on as a substitute. Maximiliano Gomez had scored Uruguay’s first and Federico Valverde added the last.
Suárez con Uruguay
✅ Spain win in the Faroe Islands
The Spanish team, with Sergi Roberto as a starter, won 1-4 against the Faroe Islands. It was a match in which Ramos, Jesús Navas, Teitur Gestsson (own goal) and Gayà scored the goals. Roberto played the entire 90 minutes, while Jordi Alba and Sergio Busquets remained on the bench.
Faroe Islands v Spain (Torshavn, Euro 2020 qualifier, KO 7.45 pm (local) 8.45 pm CEST)
Argentina v Nicaragua (San Juan, Friendly, KO 9.10 pm (local) 2.10 am CEST)
Uruguay v Panama (Montevideo, Friendly, KO 8.15 pm (local) 1.15 am CEST)
Thursday 6 June
🇨🇱 Chile beat Haiti in friendly
Arturo Vidal played all ninety minutes of the 2-1 win in La Sirena, the only friendly that the defending champions are playing ahead of the Copa America. Eduardo Vargas and José Pedro Fuenzalida scored the goals after Haiti had taken a surprise early lead.
🇳🇱 Victory for Holland and into the final
The Dutch national side came out on top after a 3-1 win over England in the semi final of the Nations League and they will now face Portugal in the final on Sunday. The contest was decided in extra time after it ended 1-1 after 90 minutes with Barça keeoer Jasper Cillessen playing all 120 minutes and new boy Frenkie De Jong playing all but the final six minutes of the second half of extra time. A strike from De Ligt, an own goal from Walker and a goal from Promes gave the Netherlands the win with Rashford scoring from the spot for the England.
🇨🇱 Arturo Vidal and Chile have a friendly this evening 🆚 Haiti (La Sirena, KO 7.00 pm (local) 1.00 am CEST), their last game before heading to Brazil to play at the Copa America.
🇪🇸 Spain U21 coach Luis de la Fuente has announced the 23 players that he'll be taking to the European Championship in Italy and San Marino later this month, and Barça's Carles Aleñà is rather surprisngly not among them. Marc Cucurella, currently on loan to Eibar, also misses out ona place in the squad.
🏆 Second Nations League semi final
After Semedo and Portugal secured passage to the final yesterday, Thursday brings the other semi between England and Holland. Barça keeper Cillessen and our new signing Frenkie De Jong feature for the Dutch in a 7.45pm kick-off, local time (8.45pm CEST) in Guimaraes.
🇪🇸 Aleñà not included
Spain, with a trio of Barça stars in the squad, are away to the Faroe Islands on Friday (KO 7.45 pm (local) 8.45 PM CEST) as they continue their Euro 2020 qualifying campaign. After already beating Norway and Malta, the idea is to make it three wins out of three in Group F. As announced yesterday, Sergi Roberto will be wearing the number 8 shirt that Xavi Hernández once wore for the national side, Sergio Busquets is taking number 5 and Jordi Alba has number 18.
Wednesday 5 June
🇧🇷 Warm-up win for Brazil
Arthur played 66 minutes and Coutinho 68 of their national team's friendly win over Qatar in Brasilia. First half goals from Richarlison (Everton) and Gabriel Jesus (Manchester City) were enough to do it for the Copa America hosts against the 2022 World Cup hosts. Remember, the Asian side, together with Japan, are playing as invited guests in this month's South American championship.
However, there has been a major setback for 'La Canarinha', for Neymar Jr is injured and will miss out on the Copa America. He also missed the 2016 edition when Brazil decided to use him in their Olympic squad instead.
🇵🇹 Nélson Semedo into the Nations League final
The Barça full back played all 90 minutes for Portugal in the 3-1 win over Switzerland in the semi final of the UEFA Nations League. The Portuguese national team will face the winner of the second semi-final between the Netherlands and England in the final on Sunday.
⚽ Games in Portugal and Chile
Portugal (Semedo) 🆚 Switzerland (Porto, UEFA Nations League semi final, KO 7.45 pm (local) 8.45 pm CEST). Portugal is hosting the very first Final Four of this new competition, and they face Switzerland in Wednesday’s semi-final. Remember the other semi is tomorrow, and pits Jasper Cillessen and Frenkie De Jong’s Holland against England in Guimaraes.
🛬 'La Canarinha' arrive in Brasilia
Arthur and Coutinho and the rest of the Brazil squad have finished their training camp in Teresópolis and moved on to Brasilia, where they have a friendly against World Cup 2022 hosts Qatar on June 6.
Brasil arrive in Brasilia
Tuesday 4 June
🗣⚽ Luis Suárez back with Uruguay
After battling to recover from knee surgery, the Barça striker has reported for duty for his country, and spoke to the media on arrival at the training camp in preparation for a friendly with Panama before travelling to Brazil for the Copa America. “I always try to stay strong” he said after touching down at Montevideo airport. “I feel spectacular. The people at FC Barcelona have done a wonderful job with my new cartilage.”
Luis Suárez in training for Uruguay
👔🏆 Umtiti and Lenglet show off the cup
The French national team have paraded the World Cup trophy at the Élysée Palace, where president Emmanuel Macron offered them an official reception.
⚽ Sergio Busquets, Sergi Roberto, Jordi Alba and the rest of the Spanish team have continued working out together in preparation for two Euro 2020 qualifying fixtures against the Faroe Islands and Sweden.
Sergio Busquets in training with Spain
Monday 3 June
🇦🇷 Messi and the Argentina team have pressed on with their training programme in Ezeiza. The target is to win the Copa America, something they haven't done since 1993 and amazingly never in the Messi era. But before the hop over to Brazil, they have a warm-up fixture against Nicaragua.
Leo Messi at the Argentine training camp
🇨🇱 Arturo Vidal has joined his fellow Chileans at the Complejo Juan Pinto Durán, the team's traditional training ground, as they prepare their bid to win a third consecutive Copa America. They'll be warming up for that with a friendly against Haiti.
Sergio Busquets, Sergi Roberto and Jordi Alba have arrived at the Spain training camp and immediately got down to work on the pitch.
🇧🇷 Arthur and Coutinho trained under pouring rain in Teresópolis. Brazil are hosting the Copa America this year, and are gearing up for that with friendlies against Qatar and Honduras.
Coutinho in training with Brazil
🇵🇹 Semedo is hard at work as well as he and the Portugal national side prepare to add the Nations League crown to the Euro 2016 title won in France.
Nelson Semedo preparing for Portugal's bid to win the UEFA Nations League
🇳🇱 Cillessen and De Jong have booted up for work with the Dutch national team, with former Barça star Ronald Koeman is leading into the first Final Four of the UEFA Nations League. They face England in what promises to be a cracking semi-final
Sunday 2 June
⚽ France in action
🇫🇷 Umtiti started the friendly against Bolivia, and was on for 89 minutes, while Lenglet remained on the bench. Lemar and Griezmann scored in a 2-0 win for the world champions.
Umtiti playing for France against Bolivia
- Copy link