- Copy link
FC Barcelona has a free-scoring defence. With the campaign still in its early days, Adriano (3), Jordi Alba (3) and Puyol (1) have chalked up seven goals between them.
Here are just a few more of the stats thrown up by the win against Celta:
- Of the 46 Barça goals this season, seven have been scored by defenders. Adriano has hit three in the league, Alba has scored two plus one in the Champions League, while Puyol has added one in the league.
- Saturday night was the first time in a year that Barça defenders have scored twice in a match. On 19th November 2011, Piqué and Puyol contributed two of the goals in the 4-0 defeat of Zaragoza.
- Both of Alba’s league goals have come against Galician teams (Deportivo and Celta) while in the Champions League he scored against ...Celtic.
- Villa has a personal tally of 6 goals in 12 competitive games. Celta keeper Javi Varas has the worst record against Barça’s Asturian striker, having conceded three.
- The win against Celta, together with the 2-0 defeat of Atletico Madrid away to Valencia, mean that Barça have pulled away from Atletico after three match days sharing the top spot. Barça led the table from day one until Atletico went level on points the weekend that Barça drew at home to Real Madrid (2-2).
- Once again, Barça comfortably dominated possession: 69% to 31%.
- In terms of goal scoring opportunities, the match was more balanced than usual. Even so, Barça were superior in total shots (13 to 11) as well as shots on target (6 a 4). However, in terms of passes, Barça were streets ahead with a total of 914 to Celta's 395, and 847 completed passes to 315.
- Cesc and Valdés are the only members of the squad to have started all ten league matches.
- Vilanova has used 22 players in his starting line-ups in 17 competitive matches. In the first team squad, only the injured Muniesa, Abidal and Cuenca have yet to appear, together with Jonathan Dos Santos. Barca B players Sergi Roberto and Tello are also still waiting for their chance in the starting line-up.
- Copy link