Against Real Madrid, FC Barcelona suffered their fifth loss of the season and the first at the Camp Nou It was the third time this season that Barça have conceded three or more goals
FC Barcelona’s 3-1 defeat to Real Madrid was their fifth loss of the season. Here we examine some other items of trivia associated to the cup semi final on Tuesday night:
• The first four defeats of the season were against Real Madrid (2-1 in the Supercup), Celtic (2-1 in the Champions League), Real Sociedad (3-2 in La Liga) and AC Milan (2-0 in the Champions League). The Copa del Rey semi final produced the first loss at the Camp Nou all season.
• This was only the third time this season that anyone has scored three times against FCB in the same match. Only Real Sociedad (3-2) and Deportivo (4-5) had done so before. It was also the 12th consecutive game in which Barça failed to keep a clean sheet.
• Roura opted to field the same starting eleven that had featured in the 1-1 first leg draw at the Santiago Bernabéu. In that game, Barça were by far the better side, and Madrid were lucky to come out of it with any kind of result to defend at the Camp Nou.
• In the second leg, Barça maintained their superiority over Madrid in terms of passes (698 compared to 377), completed passes (600 to 298) and total shots (16 to 14). But the all-whites came out tops in shots on target (3 to 8) and plays in the area (5 to 6).
• Jordi Alba’s goal last night was his fourth in a Barça shirt. He got his others against Deportivo and Celta in La Liga and against Celtic in the Champions League.
• Messi has started the most consecutive games (12). He is followed by Piqué (7).
• Defending champions Barça go out of the Copa del Rey after scoring 21 goals and conceding nine. The FCB goalscorers in this year’s edition of the cup were Villa (5), Messi (4), Iniesta, Cesc, Alexis (all with 2), Adriano, Tello, Thiago, Piqué, Puyol, Pedro and Jordi Alba (all with 1).