FC Barcelona set to play for the 11th time at Parc des Princes / PHOTO: PSG
A final far away from Paris
Besides Barça’s 10 matches at the Parc des Princes, there’s another match that’s deeply embedded in the Barça psyche. The final of the Cup Winners Cup between PSG and Barça on May 14, 1997 at De Kuip Stadium in Rotterdam. A goal from Ronaldo (pen.) on 37 minutes clinched the title for FC Barcelona.
Here’s an overview of the 10 matches between FC Barcelona at the Parc des Princes:
• May 26, 1952. Copa Latina. Semifinal. FC Barcelona beat Juventus Turin 4-2 thanks to goals from Machón, Basora (2) and Kubala.
• May 29, 1952. Copa Latina. Final. Three days later, also at the Parc des Princes, a goal from César on 79 minutes gave FC Barcelona its second Copa Latina.
• June 8, 1955. Friendly. FC Barcelona beat Racing Paris 3-5 in a match where Suárez, Villaverde (2), Mahjoub (O.G) and Mandi were the goal scorers.
• October 3, 1956. Friendly. As 12,000 spectators looked on, FC Barcelona fell to Racing Paris 4-2. Martínez and Basora netted for the Catalan club.
• November 29, 1962. Friendly. Goals from Fusté and Kocsis gave Barça the victory of Racing Paris - it was the third friendly in seven years between the two sides. Barça won 1-2.
• May 10, 1967. Friendly. FC Barcelona and Nantes draw 2-2 in a friendly where Silva scored both of the Azulgrana goals.
• October 9, 1974. Friendly. Barça face off against a selection of players from Remis and PSG. Cruyff (2), Marcial (2) and Heredia lead Barça to convincing victory (1-5).
• April 19, 1977. Friendly. The first real match against PSG. The game ends in a 1-1 draw (Cruyff was the Barça goal scorer on 79 minutes).
• November 13, 1982. Friendly. Five years later, both the teams face off once again. This time FC Barcelona manages to secure a convincing victory: 1-4. Quini, Maradona, Alonso and Morán are Barça’s goal scorers.
• March 15, 1995. Champions League. Return leg of the quarterfinals. It has been more than 17 years since FC Barcelona have been at the Parc des Princes. It was a bad night for the Azulgranas, who were eliminated after losing 2-1. The two teams came away with a 1-1 draw in the away leg at the Camp Nou.