Jordi Mestre, Oier Olazábal, Andoni Zubizarreta and Josep Maria Bartomeu / PHOTO: MIGUEL RUIZ-FCB
On Thursday afternoon, Oier Olazábal signed his new contract with FC Barcelona. The agreement will keep the keeper at the Club through 2015. The deal, which was announced last week, includes a 12 million euro buyout clause while the player remains in the Barça B side and will jump to 30 million euros when he moves up to the first team. The 22-year-old keeper was visibly pleased after the agreement was made official: “they are betting on me and I’m very happy. It’s a reward for the five years that I’ve spent here, where I’ve had both good and bad times. It’s a prize.”
Besides Oier and his representative, the sporting vice-president Josep Maria Bartomeu, the director Jordi Mestre and the football director Andoni Zubizarreta were all present at the signing ceremony.
The Basque Barça B player told Barça TV and www.fcbarcelona.com about his aspirations: “the objective is to get to the first team, train with the group and to be competitive.” Oier said he was very grateful for the goalkeeper coaches that he’s worked with for the past five seasons.