- Barça had 74% possession of the ball and shot 24 times, five times on target. Chelsea’s remaining 26% of the possession led to a paltry four goal attempts, and the only one that hit the target was Drogba’s goal.

- Barça made almost more than three times as many passes as Chelsea, a massive 803 compared to just 250 for the Londoners.

- Xavi’s 128 passes were exactly four times more than the 32 made by Chelsea’s leader in that respect, Obi Mikel.

- Wednesday night produced Barça’s first Champion League loss since February 16, 2011, which came in the same city but against Arsenal, 2-1.

- Guardiola’s side have therefore failed in their attempt to equal the club record of 17 games without defeat achieved in the late fifties (1957-60).

- Barça’s unbeaten streak in official matches stretched right back to February 11, 2012, when they lost to Osasuna – fifteen games ago.

- Wednesday was the twelfth anniversary of the day when Barça managed to recover from a 3-1 first leg defeat to Chelsea in a Champions League quarter final. They did so in style, with an emphatic 5-1 win at the Camp Nou.

- Puyol and Mascherano, the only FCB players who started the night one booking short of suspension, both avoided yellow cards and can therefore play in the return match at the Camp Nou. There was similar fortune for Chelsea, whose Ivanovic, David Luiz, Meireles and Cole also managed to avoid an enforced absence from the second leg.

- Messi once again failed to find the net against Chelsea. The Argentinian has now played The Blues seven times, but has yet to score a single goal against them.

Back to top