The New Palau Blaugrana
Work on the New Palau Blaugrana is expected to start during the 2017/18 season and will conclude during the 2019/20 campaign. The new Palau Blaugrana complex will be located on the current grounds of the Miniestadi, next to the new Camp Nou station of metro Line 9, and will have four independently functioning areas.
On one hand, a large multifunctional arena, with a capacity of 12,000 spectators. On the other, an adjacent court with 2,000 spectators, along with a complementary ice rink. Above the ice rink and the annex court will be the FCBEscola, consisting of renovated facilities and two football pitches.
SERVICES FOR SUPPORTERS
The New Palau Blaugrana have broad and easily accessible areas perfectly equipped to accommodate all services for spectators and will be fully accessible to persons with reduced mobility.
Each sporting section will have at its disposal its own independent and compact space which includes all necessities. In addition, there will be 24 VIP boxes and four sky bars with court views, and one of the sky bars could also function as a restaurant. In addition, the New Palau will contain facilities for next-generation media in a 200m2 area with workspaces. Vehicle access to the court will be via three tunnels to facilitate easy coming and going during different matches and events.
A Palau with history
There have been many unforgettable moments at the home of FC Barcelona's professional sections
The Palau's heroes speak
A collection of current and former players from the various professional sections sum up in just one word what the Palau Blaugrana means to them.
The opinion of the architects
The HOK + TAC proposal stands out for its innovative, multi-purpose sports arena concept, as well as its flexibility and personality. These characteristics come mainly from its asymmetry, its single seating bowl (no gaps), and its ability to accommodate sporting events as well as social and cultural events.
Based in organic geometry, it provides a great transition between the Palau, the adjacent court, the ice rink, and the FCBEscola facilities. From here forward, the winning team will work with technical teams from the Club and the City of Barcelona to specify and delve into the integration of these new facilities with the rest of Espai Barça and the city.
HOK is one of the most important architecture and engineering firms in the United States, with broad, international experience. HOK designed the American Airlines Arena in Miami, Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio and Stockton Arena in California. In addition, HOK’s team also has experience as the lead architect for the First Direct Arena in Leeds.
On the local side, Eduard Gascón of TAC Architects leads a strong team with extensive experience in the development of a wide array of projects in Barcelona, such as the award-winning Parc del Turó de Can Mates, the Mirasol Centre building, the CTM Manresa and various other office buildings in Barcelona.
The features of the New Palau Blaugrana
It will have a capacity to hold up to 12,000 spectators for sporting events and up to 12,500 for social and cultural events
- An innovative and multifunctional arena that belongs to a new generation of architecture.
- Adapts to the rules of the Euroleague.
- Capacity to hold up to 12,000 spectators for sporting events and up to 12,500 for social and cultural events.
- Organic geometry which provides a great transition between the Palau, the adjacent court, the ice rink and the FCBEscola facilities.
- Asymmetrical design: a single seating bowl and an extension at the back of the stands overlooking the stadium.
- Flexible and retractable seating configuration that adapts to each use.
- Single seating bowl brings fans closer to the action.
- Specific features for each professional section.
- Excellent views from all seats.
- Food and hospitality services, member and season ticket holder services (24 VIP boxes, 4 sky bars with court views).
- Spacious, easily accessible and fully adapted for people with reduced mobility.
- Facilities for next-generation media (press room and work and services area of over 250m2).
- Maximum energy efficiency and environmental sustainability.
- Adjacent court with capacity for up to 2,000 spectators.
- State-of-the-art ice rink with standard international dimensions.
- Two new football fields and FCBEscola facilities.
The New Palau will boast flexible and retractible seating that can be adapted for a multitude of uses
The New Palau is characterised by, amongst other things, its respect for the environment, its intelligent facade and its comfortable exterior