- Copy link
We keep an eye on how the Barça players are doing on international duty (All times Central European Summer Time unless stated otherwise):
Wednesday 31 March
• Antoine Griezmann started for France against Bosnia and Herzegovina and scored the only goal of the game. The Frenchman played the full 90 minutes, while Lenglet and Dembélé didn't take part in the match. As for the Bosnian side, Miralem Pjanic started and played the full 90 minutes.
With this goal, Griezmann becomes the fourth highest top scorer in the history of the French team, with 35 goals.
• Sergio, Jordi Alba and Pedri helped Spain defeat Kosovo (3-1). The three Barça players all started, although Sergio (min 82) and Pedri (min 68) were replaced. Dani Olmo, Ferran Torres and Gerard Moreno scored for Luis Enrique's squad, with Halimi replying for Kosovo.
Pedri - UEFA.COM
• Ter Stegen started in the German team's defeat against Northern Macedonia (1-2). Pandev made it 0-1, before Gundogan, from the penalty spot, converted the equaliser. In the 85th minute Elmas scored the winning goal for the Macedonians.
• Martin Braithwaite’s Denmark thrashed Austria (0-4), with goals from Olsen (x2), Mæhle and Højbjerg. Braithwaite started and played 77 minutes.
• Rey Manaj, a starter for Albania, won against San Marino (2-0). The Barça B player scored the first goal (min 63), before Uzuni added a second.
• Trincão, a starter for Portugal in their U21 game against Switzerland, scored a goal in the 3-0 win.
• The final day of international action for the current break is held on Wednesday, and includes a meeting of FC Barcelona players: Miralem Pjanic, with Bosnia, squares off with Dembélé, Lenglet and Griezmann, representing France (8.45pm).
- 5pm: Portugal Under-21s (Trincão) vs. Switzerland Under-21s
- 8:45pm: San Marino vs. Albania (Rei Manaj)
- 8:45pm: Germany (Ter Stegen) vs. Northern Macedonia
- 8:45pm: Bosnia-Herzegovina (Pjanic) vs. France (Lenglet, Griezmann, Dembélé)
- 8:45pm: Spain (Jordi Alba, Pedri, Sergio) vs. Kosovo
- 8:45pm: Austria vs. Denmark (Braithwaite)
Tuesday 30 March
• The Spanish U21 side won 2-0 against the Czech Republic to ensure they will be playing in the quarter finals of the European Championship. Mingueza could not play due to suspension, while Riqui Puig came on for Manu García to play the last eight minutes.
• Holland cruised to 7-0 victory in Gibraltar to make it six points out of nine in their three World Cup qualifiers this week. Barça midfielder Frenkie De Jong won his 25th cap tonight and played all 90 minutes.
• After the setback against Turkey, Frenkie de Jong’s Holland bounced back with victory against Latvia and unless something goes remarkably wrong, should collect another three points in their first ever game against Gibraltar today.
Meanwhile, the Spanish U21 side, after beating hosts Slovenia and drawing with Italy, just need to draw with the Czech Republic today to ensure a place in the quarter finals of the European U21 Championship. Mingueza was sent off against Italy, and is therefore suspended for today's game.
Gibraltar v Holland (De Jong) (World Cup Qualifier), Gibraltar 8.45pm
Spain (Puig) v Czech Republic (Euro U21 Finals), Celje 9.00pm
Monday 29 March
• Monday's sees a day of rest for the players on international day with the next fixtures involving Barça players coming on Tuesday 30 March when Frenkie de Jong's Holland side will be in action as will the Spanish U21 squad of Riqui Puig and Óscar Mingueza.
Sunday 28 March
• Despite not being a starter, Trincão scored a 74th minute penalty in the Portuguese U21 team's 2-0 win against England.
• Ter Stegen didn't play in Germany's victory against Romania (0-1).
Results from the matches played at 6pm:
• The Spanish team won in Georgia (1-2) with goals from Ferran Torres and Dani Olmo, both assisted by Barça's Jordi Alba. The Catalan full-back, along with Sergio Busquets and Pedri, was a starter and played the full 90 minutes. The young Canarian also played the full game, while Sergio - who was the captain - was replaced in the 73rd minute, giving the armband to Alba.
• Martin Braithwaite didn't take part in Denmark's big win over Moldova (8-0).
• Rey Manaj came on in the 59th minute and played the last half hour in Albania’s 0-2 defeat to England.
• Sergiño Dest was a starter and played 45 minutes in the United States' victory in the friendly against Northern Ireland (1-2) - goals from Reyna and Pulisic. The Barça player was replaced at the break.
• The French team beat Kazakhstan 0-2 with goals from Barça's Ousmane Dembélé and a Maliya own goal. Lenglet, Griezmann and Dembélé all started the match, with the former playing the entire 90 minutes, Griezmann substituted on 59 and Dembélé in the 90th minute.
• Today several Barça players are in action:
- KAZAKHSTAN- FRANCE (3.00pm). Lenglet, Griezmann and Dembélé (official)
- GEORGIA - SPAIN (6.00pm). Jordi Alba, Sergio Busquets and Pedri (official)
- ALBANIA - ENGLAND (6.00pm). Rey Manaj (official)
- NORTHERN IRELAND - UNITED STATES (6.05pm) Dest (friendly)
- DENMARK - MOLDOVA (6.45pm) Braithwaite (official)
- PORTUGAL U21 - ENGLAND U21 (8.00pm). Trincao (official)
- ROMANIA - GERMANY (8.45pm) Ter Stegen (official)
Saturday 27 March
• Mingueza started Spain's U21 draw against Italy (0-0), but the Catalan defender was sent off in the 87th minute. Riqui Puig didn't play.
• De Jong was a starter in the World Cup qualifier against Latvia, and played the full 90 minutes in the Dutch team's 2-0 victory thanks to goals from Berghuis and Luuk de Jong.
• Dembélé and Griezmann, in training with the French team.
• Today there are two games with Barça representation. De Jong in the Netherlands v Latvia match (6.00pm), and Riqui Puig and Mingueza in the Spain v Italy U21 clash (9.00pm).
Friday 26 March
• This Friday there are no international matches with Barça representation. The next games are this Saturday, with the Netherlands v Latvia and Spain v Italy in the U21 category.
¿Te gustaría ser los ojos 👀 de @RiquiPuig durante un entrenamiento de la @SeFutbol Sub-21?— Selección Española de Fútbol (@SeFutbol) March 26, 2021
➡️ Vive desde dentro el doble área ⚽️🥅 gracias a nuestro internacional.
📽️ 3...2...1... "Al lío"🍿#U21EURO pic.twitter.com/B3aIwL97Pb
Thursday 25 March
• Pedri made his debut for the Spanish national side in Granada when he came on in the 63rd minute of the World Cup qualifier against Greece. The teenage midfielder was unable to help Luis Enrique's team to victory as they were held by the Greeks 1-1 but he did become the sixth youngest player ever to debut for the full national side at the age of just 18 years and 120 days.
Jordi Alba and Sergio Busquets were on the bench for the game in the Nuevo Estadio de los Cármenes.
• Ter Stegen was on the bench in Germany's win over Iceland.
• Barça B striker Rei Manaj played 63 minutes in Albania's 1-0 win away in Andorra.
• Trincão started and played 64 minutes of Portugal U21s' victory over Croatia U21s.
• Martin Braithwaite was on target getting the first in Denmark's 2-0 win in Israel in their World Cup qualifier.
Braithwaite contra Israel | UEFA.COM
• Sergiño Dest was in the starting XI for the USMNT against Jamaica in Austria and scores his first ever international goal in the first half to get the opener for the US in their 4-1 victory in the friendly fixture played in Austria.
INCREDIBLE!— ESPN FC (@ESPNFC) March 25, 2021
Sergiño Dest's first goal for goal for USMNT is one to remember 💫 pic.twitter.com/6wqmGZ8loK
• Pedri is in Granada and looking forward to the chance to get his first ever international cap against Greece today, where it's been revealed that he'll be donning the number 20 on his back. Jordi Alba and Sergio Busquets will wear 18 and 5, as they do at Barça.
• There are games galore today featuring Barça players. Albania, Denmark, Germany and Spain all get their Qatar 2022 qualifying campaigns under way with theoretically winnable fixtures. Trincão is one of the star attractions in the Portugal U21 team that opens its campaign against Croatia in a group that also features England and Switzerland. And Sergiño Dest is in Austria, where the USMNT have a friendly with Jamaica.
USA (Dest) v Jamaica (Friendly), Wiener Neustadt, Austria 5.00pm
Israel v Denmark (Braithwaite) (World Cup Qualifier), Tel Aviv 6.00pm (7.00pm local)
Germany (Ter Stegen) v Iceland (World Cup Qualifier), Duisburg 8.45pm
Spain (Alba, Busquets) v Greece (World Cup Qualifier), Granada 8.45pm
Andorra v Albania (Manaj) (World Cup Qualifier), Andorra la Vella 8.45pm
Portugal U21 (Trincão) v Croatia U21 (Euro U21 Finals), Koper 9.00pm
• Here's Sergiño Dest speaking from the USMNT's camp ahead of the friendly with the Reggae Boyz from Jamaica, but he had a lot to say about life at Barça too:
"I feel like I've developed a lot in Barcelona. This system we're playing right now, that's something that fits me really well. I'm playing with the best of the game. Every training session you look at Lionel Messi and see what he does, it's unbelievable. I try to take a couple of things from him, of course it's really hard."
"This system fits the whole team as well, for me it's a little bit better because I have someone behind me and I like to take some risks into my game. If I take risks in the game I'm at my best, taking actions and attacking."
"I was really, really happy to score two goals in the game with Real Sociedad. I needed it, it was about to come because I had the crossbar against Paris Saint-Germain, I hit the post against Sevilla."
On Sunday he became the first #USMNT player to score two goals in a @LaLigaEN match. ✅✅— U.S. Soccer MNT (@USMNT) March 24, 2021
Now @FCBarcelona defender @Sergino_Dest has 👀 on his first for the 🇺🇸.
We're HERE for it. Two chances this week, Serg! 👊 pic.twitter.com/s1XybpViqd
Wednesday 24 March
• Griezmann and Dembélé both featured in France's 1-1 draw with the Ukraine. Griezmann scored for les bleus whilst Dembélé made his first appearance since November 2018 as second half substitute.
Griezmann vs Ukraine | UEFA.COM
• Miralem Pjanic played all 90 minutes in Bosnia's 2-2 draw against Finland in Helsinki with the midfielder getting one of the two Balkan goals in the game.
PJANIC | UEFA.COM
• Frenkie De Jong played all 90 minutes of Holland's game against Turkey. The oranje were behind 3-0 before Klaasen and Luuk de Jong pulled it back to 3-2 only for Yilmaz to secure a 4-2 win for the Turks.
• Riqui Puig and Mingueza did not feature in Spain's U21 fixture against Slovenia, which ended in a comfortable 3-0 victory for the Spanish.
• Frenkie de Jong, speaking from the Dutch camp, had words for Johan Cruyff, who passed away five years ago today "I've seen videos of when he played" he says. "I love his style and the way he dribbled. He was a leader."
• Here's the menu for today's first set of international fixtures, where France, Holland and Bosnia will all be looking to get off to a winning start in their World Cup qualification campaigns, and Spain U21 open their European Championship group against host nation Slovenia.
France (Dembélé, Griezmann, Lenglet) v Ukraine (World Cup Qualifier), Paris 8.45pm
Turkey v Holland (De Jong) (World Cup Qualifier), Istanbul 6.00pm (8.00pm Local)
Finland v Bosnia and Herzegovina (Pjanic) (World Cup Qualifier), Helsinki 8.45pm (local 9.45pm)
Wednesday 24: Slovenia U21 v Spain U21 (Puig, Mingueza) (Euro U21 Finals), Maribor 6.00pm
Tuesday 23 March
• Following his first ever training session with the Spanish national team, Pedri described what it all means to him and particularly wanted to thank Ronald Koeman, saying "I wouldn't be here if it hadn't been for his faith in me." Full story here.
🗣️ @Pedri: "Koeman es un entrenador que ha apostado por mí y le tengo que estar muy agradecido".— Selección Española de Fútbol (@SeFutbol) March 23, 2021
➡️ "Es un buen entrenador y tengo que devolverle la confianza que ha depositado en mí".#SomosEspaña #SomosFederación pic.twitter.com/lDfDhCJDHt
Monday 22 March
And here we go with another international break. For Barça’s European internationals, this week brings the opening fixtures in the qualifying campaign for a place at the Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals, with teams playing as many as three games. Note that the South American qualifiers scheduled for this week have all been cancelled due to Covid-19.
Meanwhile, Riqui Puig and Oscar Mingueza (Spain) and Francisco Trincão (Portugal) are playing in the group stages of the European U21 Championship in Slovenia. After the finals were cancelled due to Covid-19 they are now being played across two separate international breaks, the group stage is being played this week and the knockout matches will get played at the end of the season.
And Sergiño Dest will be playing in a couple of friendlies with the USMNT.
Here’s a checklist of all the games coming up this week with FC Barcelona interest:
France (Dembélé, Griezmann, Lenglet)
Wednesday 24: France v Ukraine (World Cup Qualifier), Paris 8.45pm
Sunday 28: Kazakhstan v France (World Cup Qualifier), Nur-Sulta 3.00pm (8.00 pm local)
Wednesday 31: Bosnia and Herzegovina v France (World Cup Qualifier), Sarajevo 8.45pm
Holland (De Jong)
Wednesday 24: Turkey v Holland (World Cup Qualifier), Istanbul 6.00pm (8.00pm Local)
Saturday 27: Holland v Latvia (World Cup Qualifier), Amsterdam 6.00pm
Tuesday 30: Gibraltar v Holland (World Cup Qualifier), Gibraltar 8.45pm
Bosnia and Herzegovina (Pjanić)
Wednesday 24: Finland v Bosnia and Herzegovina (World Cup Qualifier), Helsinki 8.45pm (local 9.45pm)
Saturday 27: Bosnia and Herzegovina v Costa Rica (Friendly), Zenica 6.00pm
Wednesday 31: Bosnia and Herzegovina v France (World Cup Qualifier), Sarajevo 8.45pm
Germany (Ter Stegen)
Thursday 25: Germany v Iceland (World Cup Qualifier), Duisburg 8.45pm
Sunday 28: Romania v Germany (World Cup Qualifier), Bucharest 8.45pm (local 9.45pm)
Wednesday 31: Germany v North Macedonia (World Cup Qualifier), Duisburg 8.45pm
Spain (Alba, Busquets)
Thursday 25: Spain v Greece (World Cup Qualifier), Granada 8.45pm
Sunday 28: Georgia v Spain (World Cup Qualifier), Tbilisi 6.00pm (local 9.00pm)
Wednesday 31: Spain v Kosovo (World Cup Qualifier), Seville 8.45pm
Thursday 25: Israel v Denmark (World Cup Qualifier), Tel Aviv 6.00pm (7.00pm local)
Sunday 28: Denmark v Moldova (World Cup Qualifier), Herning 6.00pm
Wednesday 31: Austria v Denmark (World Cup Qualifier), Vienna 8.45pm
Thursday 25: Andorra v Albania (World Cup Qualifier), Andorra la Vella 8.45pm
Sunday 28: Albania v England (World Cup Qualifier), Tirana 6.00pm
Wednesday 31: San Marino v Albania (World Cup Qualifier), Vienna 8.45pm
United States (Dest)
Thursday 25: USA v Jamaica (Friendly), Wiener Neustadt 5.00pm
Sunday 28: Northern Ireland v USA (Friendly), Belfast 6.05pm
Spain U21 (Puig and Mingueza)
Wednesday 24: Slovenia v Spain (Euro U21 Finals), Maribor 6.00pm
Saturday 27: Spain v Italy (Euro U21 Finals), Maribor 9.00pm
Tuesday 20: Spain v Czech Republic (Euro U21 Finals), Celje 9.00pm
Portugal U21 (Trincão)
Thursday 25: Portugal v Croatia (Euro U21 Finals), Koper 9.00pm
Sunday 28: Portugal v England (Euro U21 Finals), Ljubljana 9.00pm
Wednesday 31: Switzerland v Portugal (Euro U21 Finals), Ljubljana 6.00pm
- Copy link