With five wins, Barça has the best record of any team in the Endesa Supercup
On Friday, FC Barcelona’s 2013/14 basketball season officially gets under way against Laboral Kutxa (21.30, Esport3) in the semi-finals of the Endesa Supercup. Here’s some background trivia to help whet your appetite.
• The Endesa Supercup was created in 2004. Barça has the most wins, five, followed by Laboral Kutxa themselves, with four.
• This summer’s new signings (Papanikolaou, Lampe, Nachbar, Dorsey and Pullen) will making their official debuts for FC Barcelona.
• It’s a special day for all of Lampe, Dorsey, Huertas and Oleson as they have all played previously for Laboral Kutxa.
• Barça were unbeaten in their six preseason games.
• The Fernando Buesa Arena will bring back fond memories for FCB fans, for it was here last February that they won the Copa del Rey final against Valencia Basket.
• Vitoria hosted the Spanish Supercup in 2010, when FC Barcelona won under former captain Roger Grimau.
• With the capacity for 15,000 spectators, the Fernando Buesa Arena will also host the Endesa Supercup in 2014.
• Mallorcan guard Àlex Abrines averaged 16.8 points in the preseason and will represent FC Barcelona in the 3-point contest on Saturday.
• If Barça win, they’ll face the winners out of Real Madrid and Bilbao Basket. Barça played, and lost, in last year’s final against Madrid.