- Copy link
The draw has brought FC Barcelona and Manchester City together in the last 16 of the Champions League for the second successive season. The English club maintain the same spine of the squad that faced the blaugranes in the previous campaign and are in the round of 16 in the competition thanks to victories in their final two games of the group stage. Here we have 10 things you ought to know about Barça’s next opponents in Europe.
1. Barça and Manchester City have met just twice in official competition. Those meetings came last season in the last 16 with the balugranes winning 2-0 in Manchester and 2-1 at home in Camp Nou.
2. The English side are currently in second place in the Premier League on 36 points, just three behind leaders Chelsea.
3. City made it through to the last 16 thanks to their 2-0 away win at Roma in the final game of the group stage.
4. In the final two games of Group E City picked up 6 of their final total of 8 points which was enough in the end to take them through in second place. Prior to the wins over Bayern and Roma they were in fourth place behind CSKA Moscow on 2 points.
5. New faces this season at City include Frank Lampard signed from Chelsea, Mangala (Porto) , Caballero (Málaga), Fernando (Porto) and Sagna (Arsenal).
6. The former blaugrana Touré Yaya remains one of the key members of the squad at City but he will unavailable for the first leg due to suspension.
7. Striker Sergio Agüero is currently sidelines with a knee injury picked up in the recent league win over Everton but he is expected to be back in time for the tie against Barça.
8. The Argentinian is the team’s top scorer so far in the competition with 5 goals in 5 matches. City other 4 goals in the group phase were scored by Touré, Zabaleta, Milner and Nasri.
9. Manchester City have never been beyond the last 16 of the competition. They were knocked out by the blaugranes at that stage last season and in their other two appearances in the competition in 2011/12 and 2012/13 they failed to make it out of the group stage on both occasions.
10. Only three City players have taken part in all 6 games in the competition so far – they are: goalkeeper Joe Hart, midfielder James Milner and their Andalusian winger Jesús Navas.
- Copy link