The following is a statistical review of one of the closest Supercups for years:
- Not only did the game end level on aggregate (4-4), but the two sides also had the same number of shots over the two legs (27 each)
- They also had the same number of shots on target: 9 for Barça (6 in the first leg, 3 in the second) and 9 for Madrid (2 in the first leg, 7 in the return)
- But there was a huge difference in the total number of actions generated by the respective sides. Barça had 1,709 (901 in the first leg and 808 in the second), much more than the 1,134 that Madrid managed (481 in the first leg and 653 in the return)
- The game at the Bernabéu also marked Alex Song’s debut and the first run-out for Montoya this season.
- The right back’s case is especially noteworthy. He wasn’t even named in the team, but Alves sensed fitness concerns during the warm-up, and after Adriano was sent off, Montoya ended up playing for 64 minutes.
- Only three players have started all four games under Tito so far. They are Valdés, Busquets and Messi. The goalkeeper and striker have played every minute
- Leo Messi has the same goalscoring record as last season after four games: six goals
- Oddly enough, the last Barça player to get sent off was also a right back. That was Alves against Betis on the last day of the 2011/12 league season
- Adriano’s sending off was the fastest ever for Barcelona against Madrid, and also his first red in a Barça shirt. Until now, he had only received eight reds in two seasons.